Last October I submitted the 7th draft of my manuscript to an assessment service. I’d reached the point where I felt like it needed more work but I couldn’t identify the issues myself. Being my first manuscript I’d never expected to reach publication without help, and I was extremely pleased with my assessment experience.
I was asked to submit a synopsis and market position statement, as well as my entire manuscript. This was very beneficial as I received feedback for all three at a reasonable price.
I got my first taste of what it’s like to wait for pitches as I waited for the assessment back. I checked my email often and was very grateful of my full time day job, which limited the email refreshing.
On receiving the report, I was thrilled with my feedback. There were areas needing work but on the whole my assessor was invested in my characters. I had an eight page document to read through, digest and help make changes. The document was very thorough and I got heaps out of it. It was definitely a worthwhile process for me.
Where Am I At Now?
I’ve written a dot point list of changes to make, and have set a deadline to complete the list and another read through by the end of February. And the read through isn’t an average one. I’m going to print my entire MS out and read through it out loud. Anything I snag on will be changed (especially because I’m ignoring icky sentences right now as I’m doing structural changes), and information will be checked. I expect to visit Word Hippo heaps for thesaurus purposes.
I’m not too great at self imposed deadlines but I’ve been breaking it down into weekly targets. The first two weeks I went really well, these last two weeks not so much. I blame McLeod’s Daughters and revamping my website. However I did some editing today, and after a restful sleep I’m going to wake up and do some editing before work, then edit when I get home. I’m re-reminding myself of my goal and I AM going to achieve it.